2 Types of Intervention Orders and Their Differences

types of intervention orders | Melbourne Family Lawyers

Intervention orders are a cornerstone of personal and public safety in Australia. They serve as a legal barrier between you and someone who poses a threat to your well-being.

However, not all intervention orders are created equal. You should be aware of two types of intervention orders:

Family Violence Intervention Orders (FVIO) and Personal Safety Intervention Orders (PSIO).

Family Violence Intervention Orders (FVIO)

What It Covers

Family Violence Intervention Orders are specifically designed to protect individuals from domestic violence situations.

This could involve physical abuse, emotional or psychological manipulation, and even financial control by a domestic partner or family member.

Who Can Apply

Generally, the person applying for an FVIO should be in a domestic relationship with the respondent.

This includes spouses, de facto partners, relatives, and even housemates in some cases.

How It Works

Once an FVIO is granted, it can impose various restrictions on the respondent, such as prohibiting them from entering certain areas like the applicant’s home, workplace, or children’s schools.

It can also restrict communication methods, like phone calls, texts, or social media interactions.

Also read: 5 Essential Reasons to Extend IVO

Personal Safety Intervention Orders (PSIO)

What It Covers

Unlike FVIOs, Personal Safety Intervention Orders are not limited to domestic relationships. They can be used in disputes involving neighbours, acquaintances, or strangers.

PSIOs can protect you from stalking, harassment, and threats of violence.

Who Can Apply

Any individual who feels threatened or harassed by another person can apply for a PSIO.

The relationship between the applicant and the respondent does not need to be domestic.

How It Works

PSIOs can also impose a variety of restrictions, similar to FVIOs.

These could include staying away from the applicant’s residence or workplace and ceasing all forms of communication with them.

🔑 Key Takeaway: Knowing the difference between FVIO and PSIO is more than just legal jargon; it’s about understanding the protective barrier that best suits your situation.

Whether you’re dealing with domestic abuse or neighbourhood harassment, there’s an intervention order designed to give you the protection you need.

To get an intervention order, you can apply at your local Magistrates’ Court. The application can be made in person, and you may choose to represent yourself or be assisted by a lawyer.

Consult A Legal Expert 

Intervention orders are essential to the Australian legal system, offering protection for those in need.

However, they come with their own complexities and potential for misuse. Whether you’re applying for or contesting an intervention order, it’s crucial to understand the types, procedures, and implications involved.

And don’t underestimate the value of legal advice; consulting a legal expert can provide invaluable insights and guidance, helping you navigate this complex area of law effectively.

Director of Melbourne Family Lawyers, Hayder manages the practice and oversees the running of all of the files in the practice. Hayder has an astute eye for case strategy and running particularly complex matters in the family law system.

1 thought on “2 Types of Intervention Orders and Their Differences”

  1. Pingback: Types of Assault Charges and What You Should Do Victoria

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this to social media